Fairfield First School Governing Body
What are we looking for?
Our school Governing Body is made up of Parent, Staff, Local Authority and Co-opted Governors. Our Governors may come to us through a variety of routes and with a range of different backgrounds, skills and experiences, but they are all volunteers who work together for the benefit of the School and are the link between the School and the community it serves. We are currently looking for new Governors and would be delighted to hear from anyone who has:
• An interest in the performance of the school.
• A desire to contribute to and represent the community.
• An open and enquiring mind
• The ability to look at issues objectively
• The confidence to ask questions and join in debate.
• A willingness to listen and make informed judgements
• The ability to work well with others
We have recently reviewed the skills of our Governing Body and we would particularly welcome interest from anyone with a Health and Safety and/or Special Educational Needs background, to help further strengthen the Governing Body in this area.
What can we offer?
Being a Governor can be enjoyable, stimulating and rewarding. It can also offer:
• A chance to develop skills in strategic management
• The opportunity to work with our team of governors and staff in improving our School
• Training to develop an understanding of specific School management issues
• A sense of achievement in making a difference to our School
• The pleasure of helping students reach their potential
What is the Governing Body’s Role?
The Governing Body has three main functions:
• Setting strategic direction - championing our vision, values and ethos and setting priorities for school
• Holding to account – we are responsible for holding the Headteacher and Senior Leaders to account for the
quality of teaching and learning, levels of achievement, behaviours and safety.
• Ensuring good financial governance – ensuring good financial management by setting and overseeing the
budget, ensuring that resources are allocated to school priorities and needs
In practice though, we are best described as a ‘critical friend’. The Headteacher has overall responsibility for the internal
organisation, management and control of the school and for Fairfield First that means creating an environment where
everyone can thrive and reach their full potential: children, staff and our families. The Governing Body is there to provide a
framework which helps the Headteacher to deliver the aims and vision of the school and enables him to reach his potential
through the right mix of support and challenge.
The Governing Body works together as a team:
• The Governing Body meets approx. each half term
• All Governors cover a range of information, including Finance, Premises, Curriculum, Standards, Personnel and
Health & Safety
There is tried and tested training and support available to help you, including an induction programme and training. If you or someone you know is interested in finding out more, please contact the school office and we would be happy to discuss things further.
Lynn Ball (Chair of Governors)